Project Increase Storage Space- Pressing Minerals

I'd been meaning to try pressing loose mineral shadows for some time. I finally gave it a go, and am so happy with the result! I decided for my first attempt that I would just use dark colours that I could use as liners, these are colours that I'd never used, so if they didn't work out, I wasn't going to be too upset.
After some research, I decided to press with isopropyl alcohol (I bought from Bunnings) and fractionated coconut oil (ebay). You can use jojoba, but coconut oil keeps longer. 
Using a small container, I mixed enough alcohol to dampen the loose shadow. I then doubled that amount of the coconut oil so that I would get a clay or cookie dough consistency. To mix I used the end of a floss stick.
Next step is to scrape the mixture into a shadow pan. 
Using a one dollar coin, I then pressed the shadow, making sure to sandwich paper towel between the shadow and the coin. This absorbs any excess moisture.
I then left to dry overnight. (You can speed up this process by heating an oven, switching it off and placing the palette inside)
I found that a small eye shadow jar, often sold as a full size, is enough shadow to fill one pan. For smaller amounts of shadow, I just filled a pan with more than one colour, as you'll probably notice in the pic.
The final result?



Initially I was concerned that the shadows might lose their vibrancy, but, I am happy to note that most of the pressed minerals swatched the same as when loose. I found the matte shades don't swatch as well, but I'll still find use for them.
I am certainly going to press more minerals. Although a little messy, I found it fun. I will be sure to post pics of any other palettes that I create :)

Comments

  1. I've been thinking about pressing minerals too.... maybe for a couple of years now.. but never got around to it! The result looks great ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so worth trying, Lily. I love feeling as though I have a new palette :)

      Delete
  2. Wow this is a really clever idea! I get so annoyed with my loose shadows because they're a bit messy, so this would be good. Looks fun :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really enjoyed doing this, Sarah. I don't hate loose shadows, but having them pressed makes them so much easier to use :)

      Delete
  3. It looks great! I've been meaning to try this but I've never gotten around to it... :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're such busy little bee that I'm not surprised that you haven't gotten around to it, hun. But when you do get time, do give pressing ago, I'd love to see what you come up with! xx

      Delete
  4. Thanks for the tips! I wouldn't have had the first clue how to press loose powders (and it does sound like fun, too!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is fun, Di! Plus, I love having a "new" palette to play with :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Simple Hydrating Cleansing Oil

BH Cosmetics Carli Bybel Deluxe Palette and Giveaway

Love Potion Perfume 2017 Spring Collection and Giveaway